It’s crucial to give nutritionally complete homemade dog food recipes to your pet. The packaged foods you purchase from the market don’t have all the necessary nutrients your canines need. Moreover, it’s also essential to choose recipes that can help dogs grow stronger and healthier. If your pups have any health problems, you can also feed them food that gives them the strength to fight against the diseases.
The following are some delicious dog food recipes that your canine will surely like and ask for more.
Healthy Dog Food Recipes
Turkey and Brown Rice Treat
This is one of the best home cooked dog food recipes. You can feed it to your pup with heart or digestive problems. As this recipe contains turkey along with other healthy elements, they combine to help your little companion to digest food easily. Not to mention, you can also add this to your list of homemade dog food recipes for small dogs. This is because turkey is low in calories and high in Tryptophan and Selenium, which is beneficial for your pup’s immune system.
Whether your dog is suffering from immune, heart, or digestive problems, you can solve it by feeding this treat. This way, you can prevent the development of health conditions in the future.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 7 cups of water
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 10-ounce packet of mixed frozen veggies (you can use cauliflower, carrots and broccoli)
- Put the turkey in a large pot on medium heat.
- Wait until it gets brown.
- Next, add the water.
- Then, toss veggies, rosemary, and rice in this pot.
- Keep it on simmer and allow these healthy ingredients for dogs to cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- When you notice that ingredients have absorbed all the water, your food is ready.
- Feed this tasty food to your pup when it gets cool.
The serving size of this treat is about a half cup for 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure to store leftovers in an airtight container. You can keep it for five days in the refrigerator.
Okay, this one is the best of all nutritionally complete homemade dog food recipes. Each ingredient in this food will help your dog in different ways. Let’s talk about a few items. Carrots are a great source of antioxidants and fiber. The vitamin A component in carrots promotes the overall wellbeing of puppies. They also support teeth health, bone growth, and eye health.
While carrots will help your dog’s bones and body, brown rice will promote easy digestion in their body. Spinach is also great to make your little one stronger, but vets recommend feeding a lesser amount of this veggie to your dog. Other ingredients are also beneficial and help your canine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 and a half cups brown rice
- ½ cups peas, frozen or canned
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 zucchini shredded
- Take a large saucepan.
- Put 3 cups of water and cook rice in it by following package instructions. Once ready, set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a big Dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat.
- Put ground turkey in it. Cook until it gets brown (3 to 5 minutes). Make sure that your turkey is looking like crumbled pieces.
- Now, toss carrots, peas, spinach, and brown rice in the pan. Stir the ingredients until spinach gets wilted. It will take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Let it cool, and then give a delicious meal to your pup.
You can decide the meal portion according to the quantity of food you usually give to your canine. Furthermore, puppies can also eat this healthy homemade dog food.
Beef & Veggie Meal
This one is the last on our list of dog food recipes. If you are looking for dog food recipes for beef, you can make this meal in your home. This recipe includes some healthy and tasty ingredients that are great for the development of canines. Lean beef is an excellent source of protein and contains several important nutrients and vitamins. On the other hand, beans contain fiber, antioxidants, and protein. This tasty element helps to regulate blood sugar.
Another important ingredient in this recipe is peas. It contains vitamins A, K, and B. They are rich in minerals like zinc, potassium, iron, and magnesium. Peas also contain antioxidants and lutein that give a healthy coat and skin to your pup. It also promotes good eye and heart health.
- ½ cup peas, canned or frozen
- 1 and a half cups chopped carrots
- 1 and a half cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney bean (rinsed and drained)
- 2 and a half pounds ground beef
- 1 and a half cups brown rice
- Keep a slow cooker on the stove and add 4 cups of water.
- Toss ground beef, kidney beans, carrots, peas, brown rice, and butternut squash in water.
- Cover the cooker with a lid.
- Cook it for 5 to 6 hours on low heat or 2 to 3 hours on high heat. Stir it few times in between.
Another reason why it is one of the best homemade dog food recipes is that it is easy to cook. You only have to leave it over the stove. This treat is also great for older pups. But ask your vet about the serving portion, as older canines don’t need the same amount of food as younger dogs.
The dog food recipes mentioned above are excellent for all breeds and ages of dogs. However, you can decide the serving portion according to the build of your canine.